Rice with meat was one of my favorite dishes when I was a child. I loved the taste of mild pepper, rice and meat, I loved the colorful sight, and I loved the creamy consistency. Nevertheless, I didn’t have it for several years, and so I decided to revive this memory of childhood.
When I was I child we used pork to make this dish. But in fact you can use any kind of meat you like. As I don’t like the smell of pork when it is cooked on the stove very much I took chicken.
The following recipe serves two, and it takes about 1 hour to prepare it. I recommend to serve it with salad.
– 250 g/ 8,8 oz chicken (or pork, or turkey)
– 1 onion
– 1 garlic clove
– 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (corn oil, sunflower oil)
– 1 tablespoon tomato paste
– 375 ml/ 12,7 fl oz beef broth (the amount depends a bit on the rice you use)
– 1 teaspoon dried thyme
– 1 teaspoon mild paprika powder
– 1 teaspoon hot paprika powder (not chili powder; if you use chili, you should reduce the amount to 1/2 teaspoon or less, depending on your taste)
– 100 g/ 3,5 oz long grain rice
– 1 pepper
– 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
– 125 g/ 4,4 oz sour cream
1. Wash chicken, dab dry and cut chicken into bite-sized pieces.
2. Chop onion and garlic finely.
3. Heat oil and sear chicken on high heat. Reduce heat and add onion and garlic. Sauté for two or three minutes.
4. Add broth, tomato paste, thyme, paprika powder, salt and pepper, put a lid on the pot and let cook on low heat for about 30 minutes.
5. Wash rice and pepper, cut pepper in small cubes.
6. Add rice and pepper cubes to cooked meat, put a lid on the pot and let cook for about 15 to 20 minutes, until rice is tender.
7. Remove from stove, add chopped parsley and half of sour cream, season (if necessary) with salt and pepper.
8. Serve with a teaspoon of sour cream and enjoy.