Rösti, a Swiss dish made of grated potatoes and onions, is the perfect accompaniment to a lot of dishes. But it can also be served as a main course, especially if it is prepared with cheese and supplemented with fried egg and salad.
Last week, on Thursday I came home quite late and quite hungry and decided to prepare the following Rösti recipe. It took me 20 minutes, and was the perfect small dinner after a long working day.
The following recipe serves two – I was so hungry, that I almost ate for two 🙂
– 500 g/ 17,6 oz floury potatoes
– 1 small onion or 1/2 big one
– salt (not too less, potatoes need a lot of salt)
– clarified butter
– 2 handful grated cheese
1. Heat clarified butter in a wide pan.
2. Meanwhile peel and grate potatoes.
3. Chop onion finely.
4. Mix grated potatoes, chopped onions and salt.
5. Form small patties and fry them in clarified butter. Turn them over, when one side is golden and crispy.
6. Finally reduce heat and sprinkle Rösti patties with grated cheese. Put a lid over the pan and wait until the cheese has melted.
7. Serve as side dish or as main course with fried egg and salad. Enjoy!