Last week I found some forgotten parmesan in my fridge. Moreover I have a lot of red onions which I normally use only for potato salad. So I looked for a new recipe to use these two ingredients and finally made this creamy risotto with brown mushrooms.
Do not get discouraged when reading the instruction: At first glance, the production of risotto seems quite complex. But it only needs a bit of patience and it is definitely worth the effort!
You need (for two):
– 1 red onion
– 1 small bunch parsley
– 200 g/ 7 oz brown mushrooms
– 1 piece of butter
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 200 g/ 7 oz risotto rice (Arborio)
– 100 ml/ 3.4 fl oz dry white wine
– 500 ml/ 17 fl oz beef broth
– 3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan
1. Cop onion and parsley finely.
2. Clean mushrooms (don’t wash them, otherwise they loose their taste) and cut in slices.
3. Heat butter and oil, add onions and half of the chopped parsley and sweat (but do not brown).
4. Add mushrooms and rice and braise until the rice becomes glassy.
5. Deglaze with white wine. Then add broth until rice is covered, bring to boil and stir until the rice has soaked up broth. Add more broth and stir again. Continue this way until the rice is tender (approx. 16 to 18 minutes).
6. Remove from stove and add more cold (!) butter, parmesan, remaining chopped parsley and season with salt and pepper.