This is the perfect recipe for cold and humid weather: a hearty and satisfying soup with an extra – small dumplings. And the best: They are boiled in the soup and therefore get an extra taste.
You need (for two):
– 1 teaspoon lard
– 1 small onion
– 2 cloves of garlic
– 250 g/8.8 oz pork neck
– 1 teaspoon tomato paste
– 1 tablespoon flour
– 750 ml/25.4 fl oz broth
– 1 big or two small potatoes
– 1/2 big red pepper
– ground caraway
– 75 g/ 2.6 oz flour
– 1 egg
– 1 pinch of salt
1. Cut onion, potato and pork neck in bite-sized pieces. Cut garlic in small pieces.
2. Heat lard in a wide pot and sear pork and onion.
3. Add tomato paste and sear for about one minute.
4. Bind with flour, add broth, potato, marjoram, caraway, salt and pepper and let boil for about 45 minutes.
5. Meanwhile prepare the dumplings: mix flour, egg and salt and let rest for about 30 minutes.
6. Cut red pepper in bite-sized pieces and add to soup. Let boil for 15 more minutes.
7. With a teaspoon form small dumplings and let cook for about five minutes in the soup. Make sure that they are really small – they grow during the cooking process.
8. Season with salt and pepper.